Introducing DevOps to the IT Landscape
Business competition is fierce, speed to market and the management of risk are demanding a different approach to the delivery of product. Many IT organisations are introducing a ‘DevOps’ way of working and finding it more difficult than they expected. The phrase ‘DevOps’ is interpreted in many ways but fundamentally it can be seen as a ‘community of practice’ brought together to significantly accelerate the delivery of functionality to the business but at the same time improve Incident resolution and increase change success rates.
Many IT leaders are trying to understand the what, why and how of their approach to DevOps, how it fits with the existing fabric of IT and how they scale and adapt to make it work.
What are the challenges?
- Is your culture ready to accept a DevOps approach – how ready are you for this fundamental business change?
- Define some design principles to get you started. DevOps grew out of Lean and has evolved under Agile, do you have experience of these disciplines?
- Are you able to articulate a clear Vision, Strategy and Definition? – you (and your management team) will need to convincingly and consistently articulate this and often.
- What ‘tools’ (Technology and capability) do you need to enable this move to DevOps to be successful?
- Is your approach to risk aligned with the business appetite for risk?
- Can you change your ‘governance’ from “control and validate” to “trust and verify”?
- Is Service Management capability up to the task? Can Service Integration, Testing, and Release teams cope with the realities of several releases a day?
How iCore can help?
We use our experience of working with a wide range of organisations across multiple sectors to support you through your journey. We can help you:-
- Build your DevOps Manifesto (Continuous, Automated, Integrated).
- Define your Vision and Strategy (and share it as often as possible).
- Assess your current Readiness (People, process, Culture and technology).
- Outline your Journey (Strategy and approach).
- Manage & support the Change Programme.
- Embed the change into the Operating Model.
Our knowledge and experience enables us to understand your unique challenges and identify how iCore can help you quickly and practically to succeed.
- A working Multi Modal IT Operating Model.
- An approach that can adapt to the flexible demands of the business.
- Increased frequency of change (Delivery on time and on Spec).
- Faster mean time to service resoration.
- Demonstrable added-value to the business.
- Increased customer satisfaction.
- Clear service accountability.